Thursday, January 8, 2009

As the Inauguration Approaches

I saw a prosperous America, at peace, and economically sound before Mr. Bush took office. The military, the constitution and New Orleans were still intact and the deficit was.... oops, the surplus was 128 billion.

I see a large unpaid bill, a government in a politicized, dysfunctional heap and American honor and dignity in tatters. I see an economy that grew at a record pace for the wealthy but not so much for the rest of us.

I see a 38.1 percent decline in the stock market, I see 3.78 million lost manufacturing jobs, I see a jump of 2.7% in the jobless rate, I see a DROP in the median household income since 2000.

I see an infrastructure that is neglected and fraying, I see and expensive, expansive, illegal conquest of Iraq whose cost has far exceeded it's expectations not even counting the famous unintended consequences.

I see human rights abuses, the disregard of the rule of law, the suspension of habeas corpus, the cruel and inhuman treatment of suspected terrorists, and official sanction of torture.

I see and visit an ethnically cleansed New Orleans where the pretty-well off are fine and back in their homes but where more than 200,000 families and former citizens were forced to relocate all over the country against their wishes.

I see how difficult it will be for the NEXT GENERATION to try and dig ourselves out of this hole.

I see the need for powerful new leadership for the economy, for domestic policy and for foreign policy.

Here's hoping.

No comments: